Semolina is the coarse, purified wheat middlings of durum wheat mainly used in making couscous, pasta, and sweet puddings. Semolina dessert is very common in India known as Suji halwa. Yes, It is really easy to make in a blink of an eye. This version of semolina dessert is different as it is made without a drop of ghee or butter. I have not even used sugar in it, instead, I added jaggery to it. You can store this in the fridge for up to a week. It can be made with any fruit of your choice. I am excited to share with you this healthy semolina dessert with pineapple giving a rich tropical taste to it.
Calories – 150c per 80gms
Prep time – 7 minutes
Cook time – 3 minutes.
Serves – 3
200 gms Semolina
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Milk ( any of your choice)
5 Tbsp Jaggery Powder
Handful Chopped Pineapple (fresh or canned)
2 Cardamom Cloves
Pineapple Essence, optional
Yellow Food Color, optional
Garnish (any dry fruit, I have used only almond shavings)
- Roast the semolina in a saucepan on low flame for about 5-6minutes (stirring occasionally, until light brown in color)
- Meanwhile, boil 2 cups of water with the jaggery until dissolved. Add a few drops of pineapple essence and cardamom cloves.
- Add chopped pineapple pieces to the water (keep some later for garnish)
- Add 1 cup milk along with a dash of yellow food color (optional) Mix well.
- Add the roasted semolina to this liquid slowly and continuously stirring it, avoiding lumps formation. Mix all well until the Semolina becomes gooey.
- Remove the gooey mixture in a bowl or a container you wish to store the semolina. Add the remaining chopped pineapple pieces and almond shaves on the top for garnish.
Please note: Do taste the dessert while making it, in case you need to adjust the sweetness. If you are using canned pineapple you can use the pineapple syrup from the can directly with some water. Enjoy this yummy and healthy version of the semolina dessert. Let me know in the comments section if you like this recipe and share more ideas with me via contact me on the home page.