Nasi Goreng is actually a Southeast Asian fried rice. However, Fried rice and nasi goreng are still not the same. The difference between the two is the soy sauce type. Nasi goreng is made by using KECAP MANIS (sweet soy sauce) along with dark salty soy sauce which is more common. If you do not have Kecap Manis, That is fine, because I will share with you the tip of making Kecap Manis at home. Also, I have replaced my rice with broken wheat aka Dalia. It is really nutritious and low in calories compared to rice. It is made exactly like rice (just it needs 5-10 minutes more time than rice to cook). A Peanut Butter Chicken drumstick served with peanut butter sauce was a win-win for this dish. Excited to share with you this delicious and yet so healthy meal.
Calories – 330c
Prep time – 15 mins
Cook time – 15 mins
Serves – 2
Wheat Nasi Goreng
150gms Broken Wheat (you can rice if you can not find this)
100gms Prawns (Cut into small pieces)
2 Green chilies
2 Red Chilies
1 Bell Pepper
Handful French Beans (around 7-8)
1 Tbsp Kecap Manis (or you can use 1 tbsp Soy sauce +1 tbsp Honey)
1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Red Chili sauce
2 Garlic Cloves
1tbsp Fish Oil
4 Tbsp Coconut Milk (optional)
2 fried Egg
Seasoning (black pepper powder and salt
Peanut Butter Chicken Drumstick
4 Chicken Drumsticks
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth)
1 Tbsp Red Chili Oil (you can replace it with Chili sauce)
1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
Garnish (crushed peanuts)
- Wheat Nasi Goreng: Wash the broken wheat (or rice) well and cook normally as per instructions. Once cooked, leave it aside. In a saucepan add a few drops of oil, chopped garlic, chopped onion, chopped beans, chopped carrot, chopped bell pepper, chopped green and red chilies, and mix well. Cook until soft for about 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt, 1Tsp black pepper powder, 1 Tbsp kecap manis, 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 Tbsp red chili sauce, 1 Tbsp fish oil, 4 Tbsp coconut milk (optional), small pieces of prawns, and cook for about 1 minute.
Add the cooked wheat/rice and mix well until the rice and sauce are incorporated.
- Fry an egg and place it on the nasi goreng before serving.
- Peanut Butter Drumstick: Marinate the chicken drumsticks for about 15 minutes with 2Tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth), 1 Tbsp red chili oil (you can replace it with chili sauce), 1 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp soy sauce.
- In a saucepan add a few drops of oil and cook the marinated chicken along with the marinated liquid sauce on medium flame and cook until the chicken is ready (add a few drops of water if needed or to thicken the sauce)
Crush a handful of peanuts on the chicken drumsticks before serving along with some peanut sauce and nasi goreng.
This amazing combination of peanut butter sauce and nasi goreng can never go wrong. Do let me know if you like the recipe and share more ideas with me via contact me on the homepage.
Leave a Reply