Mongolian beef is a dish from Taiwan consisting of sliced beef, typically flank steak usually made with onions. Mongolian beef tastes like Chinese takeout and has a sweet-spicy taste. I have paired the beef with beans stir-fry. The secret for crispy beans in a pan is baking powder. I will show you in the recipe below how you can use baking powder to make the beans crunchy and crispy. This recipe is really easy and made with basic ingredients in your kitchen. Because I always like sharing recipes that are made with less effort.
Calories – 350c
Prep time – 5 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
Serves – 2
250gms Flank Steak (thinly sliced)
200gms French Beans (slit into halves)
2 Green Chilies
5 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1 medium-size Onion
3Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Vinegar
1Tbsp Brown Sugar or Honey
1Tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1Tbsp Corn Flour (mixed in 2Tbsp water for the sauce)
1Tbsp Corn Flour (to coat the beef pieces)
1Tbsp Baking Powder (to coat the beans)
2Tbsp Butter (for the beans)
Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper Powder, Red Chili Flakes, and Lemon Juice)
Garnish (Spring Onion and White Sesame Seeds)
- Sauce: In a bowl add 3Tbsp soy sauce, 1Tbsp brown sugar or honey, 1Tsp red chili flakes, 1Tsp black pepper powder, and 1Tbsp vinegar.
- Mongolian Beef: Marinate the beef with 1Tsp ginger-garlic paste and 1Tbsp cornflour. Mix well so that all the beef pieces get the cornflour coating and leave it for 5 mins.
- Post that, In a pan, heat 2 Tbsp oil and sear both the sides of the beef pieces until golden brown and crispy. (For at least 7 minutes). Once brown, remove it on the side.
- In the same pan, add some more oil if needed. Add sliced onion, 2 slit green chilies, 3 minced garlic cloves, and saute well until brown and fragrant. Add the fried beef and mix well. Add the above-mentioned sauce and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the cornflour mixture to water and give it a good stir, until the dish is saucy and glossy.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion and white sesame seed.
- Beans Stir-fry: Slit the beans into halves and coat them with 1Tbsp baking powder.
In a pan, heat 2Tbsp butter, add 2minced garlic cloves and saute until fragrant and brown. Add the beans, 1Tsp red chili flakes, 1Tsp black pepper powder, 1Tsp lemon juice, and salt to taste, and mix well. Add a dash of water to create a little steam, cover the lid, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the beans are tender and crunchy.
Serve the Mongolian Beef and Beans Stir-fry as shown in the pic. This dish can be eaten just the way it is or with steamed rice. A healthy meal is ready in no time. Please do let me know if you like this easy recipe and share more ideas with me via contact me on the homepage.