Mapo Tofu is a popular Chinese dish from Sichuan province. It is served in a spicy gravy or sauce along with minced meat, traditionally beef. I have made a speedy and delicious Mapo Tofu with a generous amount of paprika and black pepper. Tofu is really delicate and therefore you must be very careful when stirring in with the meat and sauce. I have kept my Mapo recipe very simple with the basic ingredients you have in your kitchen. Once you make this I promise you would want to add this simple dish to your favorite list of dishes. I have served it with Rice Noodles. However, steamed rice is perfect too.
Calories – 450c
Prep time – 5 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
Serves – 2
400gms Soft Tofu
150gms Minced Meat-Beef
2 Scallion Whites, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
1tsp Ginger Slices, finely minced
2 Green Chilies, 2 Red Chilies, fine chopped
Water starch (2 and 1/2 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, optional)
2 Lime Leaves and a small piece of Lemon Grass (optional)
Seasoning (Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Salt, Black Pepper, Chili Flakes)
Garnish (Spring Onions and Peanuts, optional)
- Cut tofu into square cubes (around 2cms). Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and then add a pinch of salt. Slide the tofu in and cook for 3 minute and then drain, this will make the tofu firm.
- In a hot wok add 2tbsp oil. Add chopped onion, chopped garlic and ginger and cook until soft and brown. Add 1tsp salt, 1tbsp black pepper and 1tbsp chili flakes. Add chopped green and red chilies, lime leaves and lemon grass piece, mix well.
- Add the minced beef to the wok and stir all well. Add 1tbsp soy sauce and vinegar and give it a good mix. Add 1 cup water and let the meat cook until tender, this should take around 15 minutes.
- Add the tofu pieces to the beef mixture, mix all well and cook for about 2 minutes. In this process you can add the water starch for thickness (optional).
- Garnish with a lot of spring onions and crushed peanuts.
Enjoy this easy and delicious Mapo Tofu with the basic ingredients you have at home. It may not taste like an authentic Chinese dish, but I promise you it will be very satisfying and addictive. Let me know if you like this recipe and share more ideas with me via contact me on the homepage.
Leave a Reply